Wednesday, July 5, 2017

A Walk in the Park (St. Louis Edition)

I'm typing this on my phone, so this update might not be very eloquent, but I wanted to share the beginnings of our St. Louis adventures.

We arrived in St. Louis on the afternoon of the Fourth...and during both flights I got a window seat!!! My inner five year old was so excited about that.

At one of the airports, I got an Auntie Anne's pretzel!!! Fun fact: I love Auntie Anne's pretzels so much that I wrote an essay about them in third grade and read it aloud to my class. :,) 

SUCH PRETTY CLOUDS!!! I was "that person" taking tons of photos out the window during our flight...A stranger in a nearby seat barely concealed their smile at my excitement.

Another overhead photo! 


When we arrived, we decided we wanted to walk to see the fireworks in a park that neighbors our hotel. How far can it be, we thought. We checked a map and guessed it to be about 1.3 miles from the hotel...tricky but doable. Let's try it, we thought. (Can you see where this is going??)

On our way out of the hotel to begin our trek, we asked the concierge how far he thought they were. He glanced at me, sized me up, and said - his voice doubtful - "Well, it's hilly...and it's about two miles."

We thanked him and continued on our way. My mom rechecked the map and concluded he must be mistaken...definitely not two miles, no way!!

So we walked. And walked. And walked. We ran into some people also on their way to the fireworks (side note: Midwesterners are so friendly!!) and they didn't know how long the walk would be either...so we just cheerfully followed the path, oblivious to what was ahead.

Then I started to get tired. My Fitbit registered a crazy high heart rate, and as I was standing against a fence resting, a literal SCHOOLBUS pulled up next to us.

"I'm not supposed to do this," she called, "but do you need a ride??"

(Wow, I thought. I must really look like I'm falling to pieces!)

We told her no thank you, thinking it must not be too much farther, but we were amazed at her generosity. :)

This whole walk we marveled at how flat the roads were - not hilly at all, as the concierge had warned us. But that's when we saw it: A GINORMOUS HILL.

By the time we arrived at the fireworks, I was dizzy, too tired to think, and beyond thirsty. My Fitbit buzzed on my wrist: "WE SAW YOUR 17 MINUTE RUN," it said. (I wasn't running.)

My mom asked me what I wanted to eat or drink. Water. Anything. Water.

There was no water to be found, but we managed to find some lemonade. :) The fireworks were fun to see, and once I had some time to rest and rehydrate, I started feeling human again. A little girl ran up to me during the fireworks and gave me her princess wand. I gave it back, but it made me smile...I wonder if she somehow knew that I need her magical princess powers this week. :)


On the way back, we took a shuttle home. When we asked a traffic guard for directions to the shuttle, he turned to us and said, "Oh yes I remember you walking in!" (I'm used to being recognized because of my CP gait, but this fair has thousands of people!!!)

Anyway, all in all I walked more than 6.5 miles throughout the day and 15,000 steps, which is pretty crazy for me...but I've been paying for it. :( I think I pulled my right hip flexor muscle. It's not too bad, but it's definitely annoying to deal with this on top of surgery worries! Hopefully it'll improve over the next couple days.

So that's Day One!! Today was the first day of pre-op appointments, which I'll recount in a second post for the sake of clarity. Tomorrow is the second day of appointments, and Friday is surgery day!!

2 comments:

  1. Ohhh mannn I hate that A Walk in the Park even happened in another state. Not fair. Hope the rest of your stay (pre surgery at least) is better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry you were dizzy! 6.5 miles is AMAZING! My limit is 2 miles for walking. I am praying for you and hoping you get super healing powers! :)

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment. I would love to hear from you. Thanks! :-)