Monday, June 27, 2016

Surgery Tomorrow!

I know it's been a while since my last post - I have several others in the works - but I just wanted to stop in and mention that my surgery is scheduled for tomorrow, so any prayers and/or good thoughts you could send my way would be hugely appreciated. :)

I'm not really sure what the immediate recovery is going to be like (but I will write about that after the experience!), but afterwards I'm supposed to be reallllly careful / stay off my leg for about 6-8 weeks, so that should be interesting...

The tough part about having CP in all of this is I'm not really sure how the surgery will impact me. Most people who have the same surgery don't have such strict 6-8 week restrictions, but because of my CP, everything is much higher stakes. If I were to fall on the unhealed bone and re-break my leg, things would be SO bad...in fact, I'm not even sure what the extent of the badness would be, because my surgeon trailed off at that part, but I'm pretty good at filling in the blanks. They're also thinking that because of my CP, it'll take longer for me to return to my "baseline." But despite all of this, my surgeon thinks that it's the right thing to do, and hopefully it will help with the pain in my leg!

...So despite all of the unknowns, I'm just going to take a deep breath and have faith that it will all work out for the best in the end.

I won't say that I'm not scared, because I am. I'm nervous about little things, like whether they will be able to find a vein for my IV after one of my only "good" veins was used for a blood test, so there's a huge bruise in the spot where they normally try to place my IV. Here's hoping they won't need to stick me twelve times and the blood won't spurt out of my hand like it did the last time ;) I'm also nervous about some bigger things...like how I'll be immediately after the surgery, especially after my last, not-so-good experience in the hospital where my pain was hard to control and I couldn't keep down food and water...and of course, I'm worried about the long-term effects of this decision.

I think my mom might be more scared than I am though...so the two of us are heading to the beach for the day to try to relax.

I hope the next time I post here, I come with good news. :) In the meantime, thank you so much for alllll of your support...it really means a lot!

P.S. If you've sent me an email and I haven't replied yet, please know that I have read it and I LOVE hearing from you! I just want to be able to give my response the attention and time it deserves. And if you'd like to send me an email for whatever reason, I'd love hear from you too...write to transcendingcp@gmail.com.

Until next time! xo

3 comments:

  1. Sending you so much love and light and hope for tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending you all love and light and prayers and wishes and hopes for it all to go smoothly and textbookly well, and that you come out the other side with all your current mobility and a LOT less pain.

    Hang on in there :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck! I know this is just from some random stranger with CP on the Internet who likes reading your blog, but having been through similar experiences, here's thinking of you and wishing for a speedy recovery!
    You're awesome and strong and you can totally do this! :)

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment. I would love to hear from you. Thanks! :-)