Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Dear Readers,

October 25th was the two-year anniversary of my blog.

Sometimes I think back to the second-grader who scribbled about cerebral palsy in the pages of her diary, only to tear the pages out and rip them into a million little pieces....and I realize just how far I've come.

Three years ago, if you were to tell me that I'd start a blog about CP, I probably would have laughed. My disability was never mentioned in any of my writing assignments or reflections, and I went out of my way to avoid bringing it up.

This blog has helped me integrate it as part of who I am...and I don't mean that I've let it define me; rather, I've come to realize that this "brokenness" in my life has shaped me as a person in amazing ways.

Much of that is because of you. To those of you who leave comments: I cannot thank you enough. I have an amazing support system of family and non-blogger friends, but there's just a level of understanding within the blogosphere that words couldn't possibly convey .Thank you for being there for me when I sat at my computer in tears, feeling hopeless and lost and alone. Thank you for showing me that I was not -- that I am not -- alone at all. Thank you for your words of encouragement...for bringing me laughter when I needed a smile...for rejoicing with me and for offering advice and for reaching out to tell me when my writing has impacted you.

And even if you don't comment (which is fine! but I'd absolutely love to hear from you! :) ), thank you for being here, for reading this, even when I don't always post as often as I should.

I don't know what I expected when I started blogging, but never in a million years did I expect to find this...never did I expect to find you, this incredible community of support.  

Thank you for being my people.

14 comments:

  1. You're DEFINITELY not alone. NoWay! And even if I don't 'get' it the way that some of your other readers do, I like ya HEAPS, and am hugely, massively glad to know you, and to celebrate your two year blogaversary with you :D YAY for blogging and connections which geography can't touch :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lizzi. The feeling is mutual.

      And please don't feel as if you don't "get it" just because we come from different places (in more than one sense of the word). That's one of the many reasons why I love our friendship -- you show me that there is love and understanding and respect and humanity to be found everywhere. Somehow even when you can't directly relate to me, you understand and you're there for me, and for that, I am endlessly grateful. I am so glad to be connected with you, to be so far away and yet so close. :)

      Delete
  2. Happy anniversary!

    I am so glad to have found this blog. So much of what I see is parents blogging about kids, I love love love to hear your voice and to hear things from your perspective. I hope you keep blogging for many more years, so that I can continue learning how better to connect with and help my little boy with CP. I don't comment every time but I read every post via feedly! Also, killer minnie sweatshirt :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Laura! I am so glad that you've found my blog as well. You are one of the reasons why I keep blogging. I love that you're making such an effort to support your son, and I really appreciate you taking the time to let me know that my blog has meant something to you!

      And thank you, haha -- I was never a fan of the turtlenecks of the 90's, but that Minnie sweatshirt was pretty awesome! ;)

      Delete
  3. You are not alone. You have made ME feel less alone because there are those of us who need to share to make the world a better place and you are doing that. I want to be doing that and with your help, and my little boy's help, I think I'm getting there. I am SO glad you started blogging!! Also? My 2 year anniversary was in September and while I didn't mention it, how cool is it that we started our blogs within a month of one another? Cool. Sorry I digress.

    I adore you. I am so so happy to know you and know exactly what you mean about the blogging community often getting it when ourIRL friends don't... hugs to you my sweet one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kristi, for all of your efforts to make the world a better place...you've certainly made MY world better! And O.M.G. that is awesome!! Happy blogiversary!

      Hugs back -- I adore you as well! Thanks for being such a wonderful part of my life.

      Delete
  4. Congrats on two years of deeply moving and awesome posts. Glad to know you! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tracey! I am glad to know you as well...I look forward to each and every one of your posts! :)

      Delete
  5. I am so your people and feel lucky to have you in my village. Never stop writing. Like Ever. What I think is incredible is that you, Kristi and I all started because of Love That Max.

    I think you are the best, simply the best. And am thankful every time you post because it helps me understand my girls just a little more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, that's awesome... I never thought about that, but you're right! :)

      And I think YOU are the best. Thank you for everything that you've done for me, and for sharing your words with us. xoxo

      Delete
  6. Happy 2nd Blogiversary! Your blog is one of my favorites. Among other benefits, reading about your college experiences has prompted me more than once to re-evaluate my own time in college. It also seems like you are reaching a lot of parents with a reassuring and realistic message about life with a disability after we leave home. Keep on writing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy anniversary! I enjoy reading your posts and sharing them with my son, so he knows that he's not alone in his thoughts and feelings as he heads to college and adulthood. You are very eloquent in your writing, and you are making a difference. Keep on!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy anniversary! I have read your words on Kristi's blog and on Kerri's blog, and your writing and sharing always affect me deeply. This blogosphere is an awesome community, isn't it? May your third year blogging be amazing...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that this blog helped you integrate CP as a part of yourself <3

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment. I would love to hear from you. Thanks! :-)