Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Not Alone


I wonder if we get to decide whether we want to be here. I heard someone speculate once that only the bravest souls are here, that most people decide to stay up in heaven and watch, as spectators to this crazy world of ours. (Not sure how true that is....sometimes I'm afraid to look out the window at night for fear that an ax-murderer will be staring back at me! ;-) )

I wonder if we know about the pain that we will inevitably encounter while we're here...if not our own pain, someone else's. 

I wonder if God, if there is someone "in charge," justifies it. "It won't be so bad because you won't be alone. You'll all be in this together."

Or maybe, like my mom believes, we experience pain in order to grow. Maybe everyone comes here with a challenge, or two, or sixty, or a million. 

My mom, who is a teacher in more than one sense of the word, told me a story a few weeks ago. She was making Mother's Day presents with her students when she noticed that one little girl, Abby, was sobbing. 

"I don't have a mom," she said.

My mom knelt by her desk. "I know," she said. "But you live with your grandmother, right? You can give her something for Mother's Day." Then she paused. "We all come here with challenges. My daughter has cerebral palsy, which means that she didn't get enough oxygen, and now it's hard for her to move her legs. She used to cry sometimes, too, because she wasn't able to do everything that the other kids could do, but I always told her that her disability was her challenge in life. And this is yours."

That's all it took for her tears to stop and a smile to spread across her face—a simple affirmation that she wasn't alone.  

5 comments:

  1. Your mom sounds like a very wise woman. I totally love the line about everyone having a challenge or two or sixty or a million. You certainly have more than your fair share. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I refuse to believe we are given challenges for a reason, I do believe that having validation we are not alone helps us deal with them. I also think your mom hit the right tone with the little girl. That she while she lost her mom she is not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG Beautiful. Tears, over here, my friend. Being not alone is such a big big thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cerebral palsy is a general term used to describe a group of neurological disorders. visit us online for more detail about stem cell therapy for cerebral palsy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel like community is one of the greatest gifts we, with CP, have with each other <3

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment. I would love to hear from you. Thanks! :-)