Monday, June 16, 2014

In which I eat six pints of ice cream, do math for fun, and reunite with an inanimate object


Wow, it's been a while. I guess I kind of took an unannounced break from blogging. It's been such a relaxing month...At the end of the semester, I had $35 left to spend of campus center money, and it would have disappeared if I didn't use it....so I bought six pints of Ben and Jerry's and gave a seventh pint to the man who was working there. Probably the best use of $35 ever! 

I know I write a lot about disability here, but there's another side of my life too, a side that is remarkably ordinary! I tend not to write about it here because I don't know if anyone would care to read about it, but in case you're interested...

 I've had a lot of movie nights with my friends, and I rediscovered the magic of a library so I have been spending a ridiculous amount of time catching up on books. One of my friends has been begging me to read the Divergent series for a while, and I was a little hesitant because I don't usually read young adult novels, but I decided to give these books a try, and they've been taking over my life in the way that only a book can!

Along with reading, I've been doing some more writing! My writing professor extended the deadline for our essays, so I seized the opportunity to work on another one, and it's CP-related, so I'm toying with the idea of posting it here for you guys to read as well! 

I've been playing a lot of piano, too...I missed my piano at school, so it was an awesome reunion. I've resurrected a lot of my older pieces--pretty sure my family is tired of hearing Fur Elise, though they're too nice to admit it!

I've also started going to the gym again! Maybe that makes up for the six pints of ice cream...I've been so excited because my legs actually have been getting sore after my workouts!!! Most people probably wouldn't see this as a cause for celebration, but since I was a child, my therapists have been trying to get me to feel my legs after exercise...finallyfinallyfinally. I seriously almost cried!
And I've been tutoring like crazy—sometimes it seems like every weeknight! I was pleasantly surprised to find that I still remember most of eighth-grade math, even though I was homebound for most of eighth-grade.

Tutoring someone in math is one thing, but I seriously began to question my sanity when I found myself doing math for fun. I don't even like math, but one of my friends likes making secret codes for me to solve and she sent me one with math terms! I wasn't even going to do it, but my curiosity got the best of me, and I caved!
Somehow this was fun??

I also shadowed a school-based speech therapist and an occupational therapist the other day...what an awesome experience! I'm not sure what I want to do with my life yet, but I can definitely see myself working in one of those areas. I feel as though I understand a lot of those kids because I've dealt with a lot of challenges of my own! The kids were awesome...and I guess I attract the younger men ;-) because one of the kindergartners made me a painting and kept telling me that I was beautiful. Melted my heart! (:
The best cupcake on the face of the universe. 

Oh -- and I had the best cupcake on the face of the universe! I swear I eat more than just cupcakes and ice cream...I also started making some really good smoothies (strawberries, Greek yogurt, and oatmeal), but let's be honest..... they just don't compare to cupcakes and ice cream! I brought a cupcake home for my mom too, since we've unanimously agreed that they are the best cupcakes ever! I've included a picture for your viewing pleasure...mine was chocolate sea-salt caramel, and my friend's was banana Nutella!

That's it for now! I hope you didn't mind that this post was a little bit all over the place, and I can't wait to catch up on reading your blogs! I hope to post more regularly this summer because I've missed you guys! xoxo

10 comments:

  1. *eyes get huge* I'm not usually one for cake...or chocolate...but that looks INCREDIBLE!

    YAY! YOU FELT YOUR LEGS ('kayso that was weird to write!)

    And also HUZZAH for your CP essays and other writing things *grins*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES, it was so good! I wish I could send one to England so you could experience it as well!

      Hahahaha I felt just as strange when I was celebrating it! It sounds so funny, doesn't it?

      Thank you again for your email today! :)

      Delete
  2. Sea salt caramel is amazing on anything and those cupcakes look delicious! Yay for piano and six pints of ice cream and books - that's awesome. My favorite is that you're shadowing a speech and occupational therapist - that is just cool. I wish you'd gotten to meet Tucker!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so agree with your sentiment about salted caramel...I've learned how to make homemade caramel and we refer to it as "liquid gold." Sometimes I'll just eat it by itself. ;-) And I was thinking about Tucker when I was there...wish I'd gotten to meet him too!

      Delete
  3. One of my older son's teachers said that she hoped more people with learning difficulties became teachers or therapists because they were just better at "getting it". Maybe you've found a new calling!

    I agree with Lizzi -- it does sound weird, but it is good that you felt your legs. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, I hope so! I love that these careers are scientific and creative, and at the same time, the therapists have an opportunity to really make a difference in their patients' lives. And I love what your son's teacher said...I agree; regardless of whether or not we have a disability, our challenges grant us understanding.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. oh what an incredible break you are having. I am so happy for you. You should see about shadowing at Spaulding Center for Children you will be amazed at how different it is on the opposite side of the therapy. You are awesome. Enjoy the feeling in the legs, maybe the ice cream helped. So enjoy some local flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you're back! And think of the amazing therapist you would be because you could relate to the kids. No pressure or anything ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love reading about the whole of you! I love your ice cream obsession so much! I miss Ben and Jerrys cherry choc ice cream so much! Those cupcakes look awesome! Great to hear all your news xx Bron

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG is it wrong that all I want to know is WHAT FLAVORS OF BEN AND JERRY'S DID YOU BUY? And we are so late to the smoothie party, but have you tried hemp seeds in yours? Supposed to have a lot of health benefits!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment. I would love to hear from you. Thanks! :-)