Thursday, January 23, 2014

No Longer a Teenager! & The Woes of Snow

My brothers and I turned twenty on Monday...I meant to write a post about it then, but I was a little bit too busy!

One of my college friends came to visit for the weekend, so that was pretty awesome, and then we all went to my brothers' college on Sunday afternoon (the day before our actual birthday, since I had to head back to school on Monday!) to go out to dinner and celebrate.

Nothing is quite so simple with my family...after dinner, we laid out the three birthday cakes and lit the candles, one of my brothers' roommates said, "The fire alarms are really sensitive in our dorm....so you'd better blow out those candles now!"

Of course, one of my brothers couldn't think of a wish right away, and panic ensued! Luckily the fire alarm didn't go off...that would have made for an interesting story, though! ;-)

Otherwise, it was a wonderful birthday, and as an added bonus, I had a slice of leftover cake for breakfast yesterday. :-)

I've been back at college since Monday, and everything would be going smoothly if it wasn't for the snow! We don't have that much in comparison to other areas (maybe around six inches?), but it's definitely enough to complicate my life. I've had to call campus safety for rides around campus, which isn't something that I like to do, but I don't really have a choice.

Sometimes when I call to request a ride, they ask prying questions to make sure that I'm not an able-bodied student who's too lazy to walk to class...and while I understand why they have to do this, sometimes it makes me uncomfortable. They'll say something like, "Are you injured?" or "Are you on crutches?" and since the answer to both of those questions is technically no, I have to explain that I have CP and as a result I have balance issues. I don't mind answering questions, but it just gets a little tedious when it happens almost every single time.

And once, the campus safety officer driving me to class spent the entire ride explaining why I didn't need a ride!

"You could walk in this," he said. "I think you should try!"

I didn't argue with him, but it just sort of bothered me...I don't think people necessarily realize that if I slip and fall, it could permanently set me back. There are definitely some spots on campus where I technically could walk (and there are areas where it's physically impossible for me because of the ice and the depth of the snow), but I could fall in a split second and, as I learned six years ago the hard way, that could mean surgery and years of recovery.

And then last night, I called for a ride from my night class and they told me to wait outside. They forgot about me until I called again after a half an hour, so I was sitting outside in the cold for about forty-five minutes, until about 9:15 pm. I'm grateful that they offer a ride service because I would be unable to get to and from class in this weather without it, but it's definitely a hassle.

Not to mention that my room feels like an ice box right now! I noticed that there's mold in the heater vent in my room, which might have triggered all of the health issues that I had at the end of last semester, since my breathing problems started around the time that the heat turns on.When I woke up this morning, my room smelled all musty from the heat, so I've opened up a window to air it out...Hopefully the fresh air will help matters, but the trade-off is that I'm sitting here shivering!

Overall, though, things are going well, and I'm enjoying my classes so far! Thanks for stopping by!

18 comments:

  1. First off, just want to say how much I love your blog and your honest outlook.

    At the risk of being a downer... The mold in your vent could be nothing, or what you can see could be indicative of a larger problem. Please ask your dorm facilities dept to look at it, and preferably have a certified mold inspector look at it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you -- for both the compliment and the advice! For now I've turned off the heat and the smell is gone, but I will definitely call for them to take a look at it!

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday sweetie! SO glad you had a gorgeous time with your brothers, and cake for breakfast sounds divine.

    DEFINITELY get the heater checked out. I'm sure it's breaking some health and safety regulation, and if there's even a CHANCE it might've been responsible for your breathing problems, it needs to be eliminated as a possibility AND as a potential hazard.

    Glad you're bearing up under the inquests from your drivers. Shame they have so little compassion or understanding about your situation. But as you say - that's life. And as long as you're safe, that's the main thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lizzi! I will definitely get the heater looked at, and I love that you consistently take the time to stop by my blog....that means so much! Most of the time, the campus safety drivers are actually really nice -- there are just a couple that have gotten me down!

      Delete
  3. It's really frustrating when people get an idea in their heads that we're not as disabled as we say we are ... and can't stop pushing and prodding us on the subject. It's so unnecessary and it's all about that person's hangups.

    I don't remember from earlier blog entries, but do you ever use an electric "scooter" to get around your campus? That's how I got around when I was in college, and it worked pretty well unless the snow was really deep.

    And Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! I don't mind being asked questions about my disability, but the suspicion/skepticism drives me crazy sometimes!

      I don't use a scooter...but that's an awesome idea! My campus is pretty small, so once the snow is gone, I think I'll be able to get around on my own again. It's just a little frustrating to have to be dependent on other people!

      Thanks! :)

      Delete
  4. Happy birthday!!! Cake for breakfast = heavenly!! At least that ride thing is an option. But what's with the judgment of the drivers?? Sheesh...

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS... Don't forget to change your "About" page to read "..a 20 year old college sophomore....!" :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha thanks Kerith! And yes, cake for breakfast is AWESOME! Most of the drivers have been pretty nice, but there are definitely a few with attitudes like that, and it's frustrating. Thanks for coming by, and thanks for the reminder to change my "About" page Doing that now... :)

      Delete
  6. Happiest of birthdays!!! (That's three exclamation points for all three of you! ;) )
    I hope it stops snowing soon...and I hope the campus safety officers get a clue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Claire!!! (three exclamation points for you, too, since you're so awesome!) We're supposed to get MORE snow this weekend...I'm hoping it doesn't last long. Thanks for stopping by! <3

      Delete
  7. Happy Birthday!! I hope you had a great day! My kids always get to have cake for breakfast on the morning after their birthday.

    And as for the drivers, who are they to judge you if you need a ride? Good grief!

    Enjoy being 20!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stephanie! :-) I love that your kids get to have cake after their birthdays as well...my mom used to let me as a kid, too, and it definitely was a highlight! xo

      Delete
  8. So I tried to comment from my iPad but I think it got confused by who I am so here I'm trying again.

    First, happy happy birthday, Sweets! YAY for 20. You know that you're required to celebrate all month, right? Cake for breakfast is recommended as often as available.

    Second, that guy annoys me. Who is he to say "you should try!" when um, no, you shouldn't because an injury would be awful and is completely avoidable. Snow is why they have a job - to help you get around.

    Third, I'm glad that you found the mold in your heater because I'm really hoping that's been the cause of your breathing issues. Why? Because it's removable and seriously - I really do wonder if that's the cause. It seems like it would make sense. Here's to hoping that's sorted out soon.

    Happy birthday to you and your brothers, K! I hope it's an amazing year for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happiest days to you and your siblings xx may this year be bright and adventurous xx happy 20th xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry colleges are a hit and miss for us Hang in there and Happy Belated b day

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think Campus Security needs a class on disability awareness and tact. For Pete's Sake! How could they not have a system in place where you could give them your info so when you call them you can say, Hey there this is K and I am at XXX when will you be here? I'm all irritated now and want to call the Head of Security at your school for a are you kidding me lecture!

    As far as the mold, ew....but also that is probably what triggers your breathing issue. Can you call maintenance? That has to be a health hazard even if you don't have a compromised immune system.

    Lastly, as Boo says HAPPY DAY!!! To one of my favorite people I am so happy you celebrated becoming a non-teen with those closest to you.

    HAPPY HAPPY Day my friend

    ReplyDelete
  12. Um...that campus safety driver was rude. Seriously. (And boy do I relate to your frustration and snow issues. SO MUCH.)

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment. I would love to hear from you. Thanks! :-)