Saturday, August 3, 2013

To My Readers

Every time I sit down to write this post, it seems that the English language fails me. There are no words to convey the gratitude that I feel towards my readers. "Thank you" just doesn't seem to be enough...

My favorite thing about my readers is this: You "get" it. Whether you are an individual with a disability, a parent of a child with special needs, or simply a compassionate person, you understand that disability doesn't equal tragedy. You aren't like the woman who said she was sorry that I was born with CP, who said that she doesn't know how I get through the day with a smile on my face. Because you know that I have an abundance of reasons to smile. And if you or your child has special needs, you know that you do too.

You
my readersare one of the many reasons that I smile when I wake up in the morning. For eighteen years, I was uncomfortable talking about my disability. Oftentimes, when I brought it up as a child, those around meespecially adults, such as teachersseemed to shut down. I sensed their trepidation and deduced at a young age that disability is seen by many as a "taboo" topic, something to be spoken about in whispers or behind closed doors.

So I kept silent.

But you, my readers, you embrace disability. You understand that it is not something to be ashamed of or hidden away. For the first time in my life, I am comfortable discussing the challenges and blessings that I face as a result of my cerebral palsy, thanks to you.

I owe so much to my readers, each and every one of them. To Kristi, who showed me Our Land and inspires me every day to be a better person. To Kerri, who was the very first person to comment on my blog, and who continues to warm my heart with her support. To Bron, who consistently leaves encouraging comments on my blog that move me to tears, including one that completely turned a difficult day into a wonderful one. To Tatum, whose recent response to my post was so beautiful that I was at a loss for words. To Tracey, whose kindness and beautiful way with words inspired me to start a blog. To Lizzi, who constantly offers wisdom in response to my posts. To Jacquelyn and Claire, who show me that I'm not alone and never was. And to anyone and everyone who has ever taken the time to leave a comment...because your words mean more to me than you could ever know.

You have changed my life. Thank you.

12 comments:

  1. Kerry, we love you from the other side of the world! You have brightened my world many times and helped me more than once with your amazing words and insight. You are a beautiful person and we are all lucky to read your words and share a little part of you xxx Bron

    ReplyDelete
  2. Veronica from ArgentinaAugust 3, 2013 at 1:20 AM

    Hi Kerry, you're changing our lives too as you write about yourself.I'm a first time commenter but a long time reader(I have CP as well, so typing on the computer takes me a very, very long time), and I must say I have often been moved to tears when reading your posts. Warm regards from far away, Veronica

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kerry, you have such a spirit within you. Your writing is wonderful, and in spite of your fears about being lost for words, you did absolutely-perfectly-beautifully. I am honoured you included me in your list.

    You are such an inspiration to me because you write so amazingly and you AIM to smash barriers and break taboos and cast them away. Your bravery has really helped me to feel that it *is* possible, and that people do (and they have) respond well.

    But the thing which makes you most...accessible (I suppose) to my mind is your absolute, unapologetic, quite beautiful honesty, and the way you let your soul shine through your writing. Rarely has a blog 'spoken' to me so brightly and so consistently. I love reading you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kerry my love! Your last sentence made me cry. YOU have changed my world. You have made it better and brighter and more magical. Thank you for writing, for sharing and for reminding the idiots out there that yes - there is so very much to smile about. So much, every day...even the hard days when it's the most important. I am so glad that you no longer keep silent and so happy that we've found one another in this huge blogging community that actually becomes really small and perfect when it means that we've found our tribe. Keep writing, friend. Your voice is one that will help to change the world.
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  5. My dear friend, you are such a gift! This post was so precious.
    You, too, encourage me that I am not alone, and I am so thankful for your friendship!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My daughter is only five (developmentally she's 3), has CP and a myriad of other issues and I love reading about your journey. It gives me hope for her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like everyone else who has already commented, I feel privileged just to read your beautiful blog. I love hearing from someone who has overcome difficulties but isn't endlessly negative (as many of the adult autistic bloggers are!) You go, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, you know I adore you :) So no thanks needed. I think it is sometimes odd to think of this virtual world as your most supportive one. Also that you know seem to have acquired about 72 extra mothers.

    The coolest thing is that you let us adopt you. That you don't mind us telling you what to do or that you are simply awesome.

    You have changed my life. For the better. Although Boo doesn't have CP, reading your thoughts and feelings has made me more aware of what she might be going through.

    Someday I hope she has your talent to let us know exactly what she is feeling. That she doesn't have to hide or what she is going through is taboo.

    You, my dear friend, are changing the world. We are lucky to have you.

    xoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Kerry, I think your words mean more to US than you will ever know. Keep writing, it is one of your many gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kerry,

    I actually want to THANK YOU for finding my blog and commenting because it brought me to your blog which I enjoy reading so much! YOU give me hope and strength for my son with CP. You are an amazing young woman - so keep smiling!

    Keri

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love reading your blog Kerry! You are such an inspiration, so as a reader I would like to thank you for having this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are such a kind person, taking the time to thank your readers like this! <3

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment. I would love to hear from you. Thanks! :-)