Monday, May 27, 2013

Lessons From a Kindergarten Class

I've said it before and I'll say it again...there is something beautiful in the souls of children, an inner willingness to accept differences.

I've spent several days this past week helping out in a kindergarten classroom, and naturally the students have questions; they are curious about why my gait is a little funny.

"What happened to your legs?" they ask matter-of-factly.

I explain that I was born too early, and there is no judgment, no condescension, no pity in their eyes.

How refreshing it is to discuss my situation and not to have to endure, "I'm sorry." These kids, they understand something that many adults struggle with...I may be different, but I am not inferior.

To top it all off, when I was reading with a group of kids, one of them paused and said that he wants to be a fixer  when he grows up. His timely words caught my breath in my throat for a moment...

These kids are awesome. I hear it in their words, and I see it in their faces: they are fixers.

5 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, that is just goosebumps. How great and wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm new to your blog this evening and have to say, you are utterly and completely compelling. I have been consuming your posts. Your style is mind-blowing and your honesty is beautiful. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AH, my sweets...I love that you experienced the reminder that kids don't care. That they are fixers and helpers and don't judge. I look at Tucker's class at school. The little kids clap for the boy in a wheelchair who stands for a rare moment. In my opinion, that is what life is. Life is a little kid asking YOU what's up with your legs (so honest and non-judgy weirdo) , accepting it and moving on to play. Just like that. That, my friend is simply awesome. Even more awesome? That Karma gave you the message that you ARE a "fixer" and that you have inspired others to be. You remind me of why I blog and share.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for your comments! xo

    Considerer, thank you! I'm so glad that you found my blog, and thanks for taking the time to leave a comment...that means a tonnn!!

    Kristi, OMG about the kids clapping for the boy in a wheelchair who stood up...gave me shivers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. HE WANTS TO BE A FIXER <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment. I would love to hear from you. Thanks! :-)