Friday, February 8, 2013

Scars

My hands are covered in tiny white dots, barely noticeable unless you are looking for them. These scars serve as a reminder of the struggles I faced in order to stay in this world when I arrived three months before my due date.

My legs, too, are covered in scars; there are four on my left leg and three on my right leg. Six of them have been a part of me for as long as I can remember; they are the marks of a surgery that I underwent when I was two and a half years old. I used to be self-conscious about them whenever I wore shorts. I was convinced that the people walking behind me were staring at those scars, wondering about them. But those scars, the scars on my legs, symbolize what I have had to endure in order to walk on my own two feet.

The extra scar on my left leg is my newest souvenir, one that I got five years ago when my surgeon told me that I might never walk independently again. That scar reminds me that I proved my surgeon wrong.

Some people are ashamed of their scars, but I'm not one of those people. Whenever I'm having a difficult day, my scars remind me, You can do this. You've been through worse. 

I am proud of my scars.

5 comments:

  1. Sorry I'm commenting so much-- but I just found your blog and I'm just so happy to be able to relate to someone! I too am covered in scars, and used to try to hide them. I still don't really like to wear shorts... but I'm proud of my scars now, proud to have come through everything stronger. And still walking, even when everyone said it was impossible! Thank you for this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! Thank you so much for your comments, and please don't feel bad about commenting too much!! Your comments made my day, and I took a look at your blog and LOVE it! Can't wait to read more!!! I love how much we can relate to each other; so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I regularly study the same little white ones you have on your hands, on Asher and Nolan's. Very good reminder of how far they have come. I am glad to hear you are proud of those scars, as I am of theirs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. In ages past, scars were a signal of a warrior. You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm still self conscious about my scars. And I didn't know you had surgery at 2 1/2! What in the world did you have done that gave you that many scars at once?

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment. I would love to hear from you. Thanks! :-)