Thursday, February 21, 2013

Liebster Award

A few weeks ago, Tatum over at Ain't No Roller Coaster nominated me for a Liebster Award. It completely made my day, and I've been meaning to write this post for a while now, but life keeps happening! ;-) Thank you so much for the honor, Tatum! If you haven't checked out her blog, definitely do so! Her family is awesome, and her writing alternately cracks me up and moves me to tears. 



Here are the rules regarding the Liebster Award, as copied and pasted from Tatum's blog:
  1. You must thank the person who gave you this award 
  2. You must display the Liebster heart on your blog
  3. You should nominate 3-5 up-and-coming blogs (some say 200 is small, others say 3000 is small) 
  4. Each person must post 11 things about themselves 
  5. Answer the questions given to you by the blogger who nominated you
  6. Create 11 questions for those you nominate to answer
  7. Notify your nominees and provide a link back to your post. 
  8. Don’t give the award back to the blog that gave it to you.


Eleven things about me:
  1. I love pajamas! I think I might have more PJs than regular pants . . . if it was socially acceptable to wear pajamas in public, I definitely would!! 
  2. I am addicted to cookie butter. Oh. My. Goodness. It's kind of a problem. 
  3. I make to-do lists constantly.  
  4. I am a huge animal lover! I have two dogs and two cats at home, and sometimes I miss them more than I miss my parents. 
  5. I have no sense of direction. I'm one of those people who could probably get lost in her own neighborhood. 
  6. I took Latin on a whim in high school and loved it!  
  7. When I was about two or three years old, a doctor was trying to test my intelligence, and she asked me if I was a boy or a girl. I told her that I was a boy. I thought that I was hilarious. The doctor, on the other hand, was a little bit concerned. 
  8. When I was four years old, I wanted to grow up to have one hundred children. Needless to say, I've rethought that idea. 
  9. I was born three months early. I'm thirty seconds younger than one of my brothers and a minute younger than my other brother. 
  10. One of my favorite hobbies is playing the piano. I've taken lessons for about ten years, but I am a little bit shy about playing in front of other people.  
  11. I'm not much of a party animal, contrary to the popular teenage stereotype. My version of the perfect weekend night involves cozying up with a movie, a bunch of pillows, a couple of friends, and an ungodly amount of candy.

And here are the 11 questions that Tatum asked her nominees:
  1. What made you start a blog? I love to write, and at my high school graduation dinner, my uncle mentioned that I should start a blog to show people what it's like to be a college student with CP. I can be kind of shy with regards to sharing personal details about my life, so I was skeptical at first. I kept the idea in the back of my mind though, and eventually I thought, "Why not? If I can help just one person, it will be worth it."
  2. What is your favorite season? Summertime! 
  3. If you could have one of your wishes granted, what would it be? I would wish for more tolerance in the world.
  4. Who has been one of your biggest supporters in life, how have they supported you? I am so blessed to have countless supporters in my life, so I had to think about this one. One of my biggest supporters, though, has always been my mom. I know it sounds kind of cliche, but I can always go to her if I need to vent about something, and we share the same sense of humor so we always seem to know how to make each other laugh. I can't imagine life without my mom!
  5. If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be? It is so ridiculously cold where I am right now that I would be happy anyplace warm! Seriously, though, I've always wanted to go to Australia. I'm not sure if I'd want to live there, but I definitely want to visit someday!
  6. What do you want to be when you grow up?  (Assuming none of us think we’re grown up yet). Oh no. I'm actually not sure yet; still exploring my options! I haven't even decided for sure what I want to major in yet . . . thinking about what I want to be makes me nervous. ;-) Originally I wanted to major in English but I'm actually considering switching to neuroscience because the subject is fascinating to me! (I just realized that I completely avoided the question! Oops.)
  7. What do you think is your best quality? Kindness. Actually, I think that if somebody is kind, that is always their best quality, regardless of their other characteristics. I was part of an acts of kindness group in my town before I went off to college. I was the only teenager in the group, but the other members (mostly mothers!) embraced me wholeheartedly, and it changed my life. I believe that a little bit of kindness can change the world, so I try to perform good deeds every day!
  8. If you could help the world understand one thing about special needs, what would you want them to know? An individual with special needs is so much more than a diagnosis. I have met people who are technically unable to speak, for instance, but I have found that they are able to communicate without words in ways that able-bodied people cannot. I wish that people would truly get to know people with special needs before jumping to conclusions. Every time I see people purposefully ignoring those with special needs, my heart aches. I want to ask these people what makes them think that they are better than those with special needs. Look them in the eyes, I want to say, and find out who they are. Discover the incredible gifts that people with special needs have to offer the world.
  9. What is your favorite book? I love to read, so it's hard for me to pick one favorite! It changes often, but right now I think it's Blackbird, an autobiography by Jennifer Lauck. Every time I read it, though, I end up crying my eyes out!
  10. What are three things that make you smile? My dogs, my friends & family, and chocolate. :-)
  11. If you could have a superpower for a day, what would it be? I would like to be able to stop time for a little while. Sometimes I feel like there aren't enough hours in the day! 
And now, here are the bloggers that I have decided to nominate. :-)

Carol at The Blessing Counter: I love this blog! Carol is a mother of four awesome kids, including triplets, and her sons have CP. She writes beautifully and honestly, and I look forward to reading her words every day. 

Claire at Claire's Calico Corner. Claire is the daughter of the blogger above, and I was so excited to find out that she had a blog of her own! At fifteen years old, she is so incredibly wise, and she has a wonderful way with words. She also advocates for orphans with special needs. Claire is awesome, and her blog is definitely worth a visit! :-)

Tracey at Trousdell Five: Tracey is an amazing writer with an amazing family to match. She has three-year-old twins who have cerebral palsy, and her blog is both witty and heartfelt, hilarious and inspiring. 

Kelli at Miles of Smiles with Team Ari: Kelli is just starting out on her blogging adventure, and she has an awesome story to tell! Her daughter, Ari, is a twelve-year-old with cerebral palsy. Kelli is a marathon runner, and as she explains in one of her blog posts, one day Ari said to her, "I want to run with you." Ever since that moment, Kelli and Ari have been doing marathons together. Their story is truly inspiring.

Jacquelyn at The Girl in the Wheelchair: I just found Jacquelyn's blog and I love it!! Jacquelyn is an incredible individual with cerebral palsy, and her words touch my heart.

Here are the questions that I have for my nominees, if they decide to accept the award:
  1. What is your favorite meal? 
  2. If you could go on vacation anywhere, where would you go? 
  3. What is one thing that you have learned from special needs?
  4. Do you have a favorite quote? If so, what is it? 
  5. What is one movie that you could watch over and over again without getting bored? 
  6. What is one skill that you wish you had? 
  7. When you were a child, what was your favorite toy? 
  8. What is your favorite animal? 
  9. What is your favorite candy? 
  10. If you could teach the world one lesson, what would it be? 
  11. What is your earliest memory?

:-)

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing more about you! And linking up some great blogs for me to read! If you ever some to visit Australia we would love to show you around!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've commented on your blog once before, but I just had to now because I'm actually weirdly similar to you... we have a lot in common. I think I'm a year younger than you, but I'm a quadruplet with CP (spastic diplegia), and I'm roughly 30 seconds apart from my siblings as well. I also have no sense of direction whatsoever (thank God for Google Maps), and I love foreign languages (I'm studying Spanish). I'm also considering majoring in English, a foreign language, or psychology/ neuroscience in college.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved learning more about you and have a feeling that I'll be simultaneously cursing and praising you after I've tried cookie butter. I can't wait to check out the blogs you nominated. Tell your Uncle that your readers say thanks for encouraging you - you're a really talented writer and have such an important perspective to share.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So fun to learn more about you! I need to investigate this "cookie butter" you speak of...

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment. I would love to hear from you. Thanks! :-)