Thursday, January 31, 2013

The Little Dancer

When I was three years old, I wanted to be a ballerina more than anything else in the world. I was undeterred by the fact that my legs didn’t work the way that they were supposed to; it didn’t bother me that I could hardly stand in one place without toppling over, much less twirl and execute movements with grace. I watched ballet videos for hours while sporting a frilly pink tutu, mesmerized, and imagined myself someday performing perfect pirouettes in front of an adoring audience.

Me in my ballet outfit, age four :-)
At age four, I took ballet lessons alongside my friends and was determined to keep up with the class. I wasn't graceful by any stretch of the imagination, and I couldn't perform all of the moves, but I loved everything about ballet. I felt like the prettiest girl in the world with my tights, slippers, and leotard, and sometimes, to my delight, my mom would put my hair up in a bun for class. There I was, a petite four-year old with stiff, crooked legs and a dream that defied my cerebral palsy.

I don't remember exactly when that dream faded away, but at some point I decided that I'd rather be a writer than a ballerina. And so it began; I discovered that I loved words even more than I loved ballet.

I was still a dancer, but now, instead of putting on my slippers and dancing with my feet, I picked up a pencil and danced with my words.


Stumbo Family Story

12 comments:

  1. Your writing brings tears to my eyes xxx beautiful x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that your dream didn't die but faded away. We all dream of sometimes impossible things. Allie dreams of being a princess. But those dreams, I believe, set us up for success when we find our calling. Like your writing. If you didn't see the beauty and dedication of ballet maybe you wouldn't have become so eloquent and that's what makes your writing so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very well written. I'm glad you found the gift that God gave you and are using it so well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have such a beautiful style of writing. I have come over 2 weeks now via Love That Max and am glad that I have... I really enjoy reading!

    Nikki

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an encouraging story you have! I found you through the Love that Max linkup and wanted to invite you to add your blog to my index of special-needs blogs at http://boynamedsilas.blogspot.com/p/start-linkytools-script-srchttpwww.html. I think a lot of others will be encouraged by your story!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My special girl loves dancing to music too, she manages it with her head :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE how you "dance with your words." And you do. Your writing is amazing. It's a dance.

    Just found you via Love that Max. SOOO glad I did.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this post too! You dreamed new dreams and your words are inspirational to so many.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an inspirational story. It gives me hope that Isaac will be able to achieve his full potential when he grows up.
    Found your blog via the CP connection link

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi!
    I'm a 21 year old with mild SD CP!! I just found your blog-- and just about choked! I love love love to write-- and just started blogging. I'm definitely following! :) Feel free to read mine if you'd like.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just found your blog and I want to thank-you for being so open and honest with your life experiences. My son has mild spastic diplegia CP and uses a wheelchair to get around. He's in a regular class at school and is incredibly determined to not let his CP slow him down. I love to see the perspective of an adult who has been through some of the same experiences he is going through. Definitely following!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm pleasantly surprised that you took a ballet class! (I was going to say that you were "allowed" to take a ballet class, but that makes it sound like you were a 4 year old terror...) I don't often hear about kids with CP taking dance classes or doing other sports when they also have CP!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment. I would love to hear from you. Thanks! :-)