Monday, January 28, 2013

Letters on a Page

"You have beautiful handwriting," my seventh grade English teacher says one day as we pass in the hallway.

I meet her eyes for a moment. I want to tell her that my occupational therapist was worried about my penmanship when I was in preschool.

I want to tell her how my mom tried to make me a lefty because I was having trouble using my right hand, but I refused to cooperate.

I want to tell her about the hours I spent at the kitchen table, grasping a crayon and trying to write an "x" on the page, but no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get the lines to cross.

I want to tell her how I scribbled stories on pieces of printer paper, over and over and over again, practicing.

But I don't. I look into her eyes with a smile and wish that she knew how much that casual, offhand comment meant to me.

"Thank you."
 

8 comments:

  1. Thank you for allowing us a glimpse of your world. Most people don't realize the struggles that a person with CP faces just to complete a task that many of us take for granted. It brought back memories for me of when Ari was learning to write with her OT at school. She used the Handwriting Without Tears method. I often thought how ironic it was to give that instructional book its Title. I know Ari shed tears of frustration often as she attempted to write the letters of the alphabet. I admire your perseverence immensely. You will succeed in life no matter what you do as you are a true champion!
    Sincerely,
    Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's such a great story! I admire your tenacity so very much. And with handwriting, it obviously paid off. You have such a beautiful way with words, too. I appreciate you sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another great post! I'm so happy to have found you via Love That Max's link up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi K, I love your blog and have nominated you with a Liebster Award. Go here to learn more http://aintnorollercoaster.com/liebster-love/.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for your comments - I really appreciate them!! :)

    And Tatum, I am honored! You made my day - thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually want to cry reading this.. I could have written it! I've never even heard of someone with CP having trouble crossing midline the same way I did-- it took my OT and my Mother a year of working to teach me to write X's and T's and Y's, never mind the other letters. I just could not cross them. Also my right side is more affected, but I'm right handed. Also, I now can write better than my entire family (therapy's good for something!) and I write constantly. I have never met anyone who's CP sounds so similar to mine. I thought (foolishly) that nobody really understood.. I have tons of friends with CP, but mostly not very similar. I am just blown away..

    ReplyDelete
  7. This brings to mind sitting at the kitchen table at MY house with a grip on my pencil, practicing my letters. :)

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment. I would love to hear from you. Thanks! :-)