Tuesday, January 22, 2013

He Spoke Up For Me


I was five years old, standing in line to get on the school bus, inching my way towards the stairs. I took each step deliberately, careful not to fall on the pavement and scrape my elbows as I had done many times before. 


Then came a voice behind me. 


"WHY. ARE. YOU. SO. SLOW!" 


Each word was pronounced slowly and loudly, and together they took the breath out of me like a punch to the stomach. I turned slowly to face her, my face hot. I was stung and lost for words.


That's when my brother, my five-year-old, daydreaming, soft-spoken brother arrived at my side. I don't remember what he said to her, but what he said doesn't matter. He spoke up for me. He left her in stunned silence, and in that moment, he became my superhero.


After that day, I realized that we all have superpowers. We all have the ability to become someone's superhero. 

All we have to do is speak up.
______________________________________________________

{Linking up through Ellen's writing prompt.}

7 comments:

  1. You are so, so wise. Clearly, so is your brother. With so few words in this post, you said so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome post!

    All we have to do is speak up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome treasure your brother is to you. Wonderfully written.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is no age for who can speak up, or who to speak up for. What a sweet moment between you and your brother :) Is he still "protective" of you?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the comments, everyone! :)

    And Ellen, yes - we are all protective of each other! We are all off at college now but we still talk often and I know they'll always have my back! Thank you for your wonderful prompts, by the way. I look forward to reading your posts every week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh this is a prompt from Ellen's site? So neat! I'm glad that your brother stood up for you - as I have also been on the receiving end of my own version: "But she goes so slow!"

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment. I would love to hear from you. Thanks! :-)