Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Five Awkward Things People Have Said to Me

"It's a shame a beautiful girl like you has to walk like that."

"Oh my gosh, you are so lucky that you get to sign up for classes early! I should break both my legs so I'm in a wheelchair and that way, I'll get to do that too!"


Teacher: "Wow, you're actually very smart!" (I caught that "actually!")


"Wouldn't it be awful to be a handicapped person?"


"You're always so cheerful all the time, and it's really inspiring. I wouldn't be that happy if I were in your situation!" 

Yet another reason to think before you speak. ;-)

6 comments:

  1. WHAT!?! You couldn't make up that ignorance if you tried! This is what I need to start mentally preparing for and I don't think I'll handle it very well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, right? Sometimes it just makes me laugh though because I know people aren't intending to be rude. Don't worry too much about it - I don't get comments like this very often, just every now and then! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! I love this. I had a friend who said I was "lucky" Boo was handicapped because we got the best seats.

    I was like, seriously?

    Found you via Love that Max

    ReplyDelete
  4. Preach it!!! Crazy what people say.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness! I know what this is like..all. the. time. people say the most insensitive things. "Hey, why are you walking like that?" "Because I have Cerebral Palsy" *blank look. "Oh, I just thought you were drunk." yeah, um, thanks? haha, you just have to laugh at the ignorance!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not surprised by any of these, sadly. And I've gotten: "It's a shame you're in a wheelchair. You're so pretty." :/

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment. I would love to hear from you. Thanks! :-)