Sunday, November 25, 2012

I Am Lucky

I am lucky.

Sometimes, in the back of my mind, a little nagging voice creeps up,
a voice that asks, "Why me?"
"Why do I have to deal with this?"
"Why do I have CP?"
I listen to people complain about running, about gym class, about how their sports practice takes up all their time, and sometimes I wish I could just tell them, "You're lucky."
But then I remember: I am lucky, too.

I can write. I can walk. I can talk. I graduated from high school. I am at an awesome college. I have incredible friends and an amazing family. And because of my CP, I constantly remind myself to remember the little things in life that other people take for granted.

A few mornings ago, I woke up to my dog at the foot of my bed. I sat up, leaned over, and kissed the top of her head. She "laughed," her sleepy eyes sparkling, tipped her head back, and kissed me back, her wet nose pressed against my face.

Thank you God,
for I am lucky.

5 comments:

  1. I love that you can see it is you who is lucky xx Cooper mostly believes it is he who is lucky getting to do extra special things which may happen to be because of his cp or maybe just cos he is cute! ;) hope you are well and that your foot has recovered x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting this. Lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cooper is so awesome!! He is wise beyond his years. And thank you, my foot is better now! :)

    Thanks for the comments; I really appreciate them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful post! Sometimes, we all have to remind ourselves that we are so very lucky. Even if we occasionally ask "why me?" first.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post reminded me very much of poet and peacemaker, Mattie Stepanek, who often said, when he got sad and asked himself, "Why me?" he then corrected himself, and asked, "Why not me?"

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment. I would love to hear from you. Thanks! :-)